Summer is in full swing in Northern California, and that means high energy costs from increased air-conditioning use, so you may be looking for ways to save. But where can you find helpful information?
You may be surprised to know that there are online resources all around that can help you reduce your energy bills. Here are three of the most helpful.
Your Utility Company
For many, your utility company may seem like an unlikely place to look for ways to reduce your energy consumption. However, just about all electric or power companies have online resources you can use to reduce your energy costs.
Your utility company will depend on where you are located. Here are a couple:
- Sacramento – If you are in the Sacramento area, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) has a plethora of money-saving resources. Check out their Energy Suite for the ability to calculate your energy use and find ways to reduce your energy costs.
- San Jose & East Bay – For residents of San Jose and the surrounding area, including Pleasanton, CA and the East Bay, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) also has a significant section of their website devoted to saving energy. You can also log into your account and get a personalize energy saving plan using their Home Energy Checkup tool.
ENERGY STAR is a program created by a joint venture between the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to help Americans make wise, energy-efficient decisions. While the biggest purpose of the website is to help you understand the ENERGY STAR label, there are also many energy-saving tips.
Here are a few of the best online resources from ENERGY STAR that you can use to reduce your energy costs:
- Save Energy @ Home Tool – This interactive tool lets you take a room-by-room tour that points out how you can save energy throughout each area of your home.
- Using Your Programmable Thermostat (Video) – This short video will give you tips for setting your programmable thermostat and show how it can help you save up to $180 a year.
- Home Advisor – Using this tool, you will enter information about your home and receive personalized tips for reducing your energy costs.
Created by the U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Savers is a website devoted to helping you save energy (just as the name suggests). They have sections dedicated to each part of your home, as well as tips for saving energy in your vehicle and at work. Browse through this website for a plethora of ways to reduce your energy costs.
Looking for more ways to save energy? Subscribe to our email newsletter and receive monthly tips, tricks and exclusive specials. Or you can contact Service Champions online for personalized air energy-saving solutions.