With the fall season knocking on your door, Halloween is just a few days away. If you are scared of ghosts, ghouls, and spirits then you should know that these are not the only things to scare you off.There are HVAC horrors that are a way more scary than Halloween. Read below to find out how.
Major concerns that arise if HVAC system is not maintained regularly:
- Legionnaire’s Disease: This disease is a kind of pneumonia and is primarily caused by the bacteria named as Legionella. Its main symptoms are fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, and headaches. If not treated properly, it can cause death too. It is directly connected to your HVAC system as hundreds of people from New York catch Legionnaire every summer.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): VOCs are carbon-based chemicals which can cause problems such as nausea, vomiting, headaches and cancer. You can easily reduce the VOCs in your home by regular maintenance of your HVAC system.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality: Dizziness, headaches, and fatigue are hints that the indoor air quality of your home is poor. Poorly maintained HVAC system is one of the major reasons of the decreasing quality of indoor air.
- Skin Allergies: If the HVAC system of your home is not working properly then there are increased chances of indoor air pollution in your homes, which can cause skin problems like skin rashes and itchiness etc.
Here are the ways to avoid these problems:
- Good Quality HVAC System: Selection of HVAC system is one of the basic but important steps. Choose the systems taking into consideration the size, requirement and location to attain proper air-conditioning.
- Annual Maintenance: In order to make sure the proper functioning of your HVAC system, the inspection and maintenance should be done properly every year.
- Clean the Filters Regularly: Check and clean the filters once every 3-4 months to prevent them from clogging as it can cause reduce the efficiency of your HVAC system. It is advisable to change the filters after a specified set of time span.
- Maintain the Ducts: The ductwork also needs to be cleaned and maintained properly. In order to reduce the humidity and maintain the proper flow of air, holes, and leaks (if any) in ducts needs to be repaired timely.
- Don’t Allow Water to Pool around Your Air Handlers: Water near HVAC can be sucked into pores, so you should clean the extra water, dust from the roofs and walls at regular intervals. It will prevent the mixing of dust with water which is one of the major reasons of pore blockage.
- Regular Cleaning of Evaporator and Condenser Coils: Use an antimicrobial treatment to treat the coils to prevent the mold from growing. You can also install UV lights to save the coils from being attacked by mold.
- Deploy Humidifiers and Air Purifiers: You cannot prevent the dust and pollution from getting mixed with air so it is best to go for humidifiers and air purifiers in order to properly maintain the quality of air in your homes.
- Upgrade your System on Time: If your HVAC system breaks down more often and the quality of air is getting poor, then changing it would be the best decision in terms of efficiency, health and energy consumption.
Prevention is always better than cure. It is easy to regularly maintain your system than to suffer a huge expense. If you are unable to do so, hire a professional and choose a suitable AMC/CMC plan.