Because Service Champions works with homeowners across Northern California to ensure they have high-performance HVAC systems year round, we get a TON of questions regarding one all-important factor:
How To Maximize Energy Efficiency
Outside of having premium systems in place and a partnership with a company like ours that can professionally maintain your systems, a HUGE go-to is insulation.
And it’s no wonder when you consider that according to Energy Star, still here in the 2020s the majority of homes we visit for the first time are going to be under-insulated for a variety of reasons.
That being said….
Let’s Chat: Attic Insulation
Service Champions specializes in insulation services – so, what is it? Simply put, an ancient form of passive energy efficiency that’s still with us today; just far advanced.
The right insulation in your attic can keep up to 97% of the hot and cold air outside from getting into your home and driving your energy bills up, up, and up! Instead, during the extreme parts of the winter and summer months, it works to make your home’s HVAC more efficient rather than causing them to break themselves fighting against the encroaching outdoor environment.
Whether it’s blown-in insulation or a radiant barrier, the goal of your attic insulation is to target the most vulnerable parts of your home that are susceptible to absorbing outdoor heat and cold. For example, here in Northern California, your attic can get to as high as 125-130 degrees in August.
- Proper attic insulation also helps reduce the amount of noise penetrating into your home.
- Don’t forget it helps protect your investment by preventing storage & utility overheats.
What To Look For – How’s Your Insulation?
A primary reason homes are underinsulated, is because they’re older and the insulation systems haven’t been touched. In this next part, let’s talk about a few of the signs our technicians will be on the lookout for.
- Over time fibrous insulation becomes impacted; it settles and loses its effectiveness.
- As this happens, your AC unit will need to work harder and harder.
- Look for moisture in the attic before it becomes a problem – leaking through the ceiling!
- Do you have icicles on the roof that are out of the ordinary? Lower insulation levels could be the issue
- Certain areas of the home are warmer than others in the winter (not all insulation fails at the same exact moment).
General Rule of Thumb
“If there’s more than 1-inch of space between your existing insulation and the top of the beams it sits between, it’s time to add or replace.”
An Insulation Solution for Northern California Homeowners
One solution we offer is called Signature Comfort Cloud™ – specially designed to maximize home comfort and energy savings simultaneously for our Northern California customers. For insulation it’s extremely clean & tidy (no mess!), and without question helps to extend the service lifetime and effectiveness of your HVAC systems.
- We can also help with under-house insulation to further maximize energy efficiency and keep your floors warmer in the colder months.
- We have the Silvershield solution as well, which prevents UV radiation from reaching inside your attic.
Get Properly Insulated | Get A Free Inspection | Call Service Champions
Whether it’s the dead of winter or summer, you can call Service Champions across Northern California and we’ll get you all the help we can muster, quickly. Consider us your well-known, long-standing, and most highly-reviewed HVAC professionals – we have over 11,000 reviews! We look forward to hearing from you and getting you a free inspection ASAP. Thanks for your time.